Friday, April 17, 2009

Wedding Insurance

Last week I endured an eight-day stint at my parent's house following a flood in my basement. I had to wait while nearly everything was either repaired or replaced over the course of the week. I have never, until now, had to make a claim with my insurance company and I was a little worried at how my call would be received. I assumed that I would be on hold for 20 minutes before speaking with anyone, then that I'd have to somehow prove that I hadn't caused the flood on purpose or that I wasn't making some kind of fraudulent claim, and that the person I'd eventually speak to would be short, grumpy, and suspicious.

As it turns out, I was completely wrong. My call was answered immediately and the agent I spoke to was extremely helpful and, surprisingly, he was really concerned for the safety and well-being of my family first and foremost.

The agent took care of sending a clean-up crew to my house and I simply waited for updates on the progress. The clean-up crew was fantastic too; and I'm still in awe at how quickly and professionally they performed their work.

Does anyone really care about the flood in my basement? No, probably not. However, all of this got me thinking about Wedding Insurance.

I have always provided my clients with information about Wedding Insurance - so few are actually aware that this type of coverage even exists. Now don't get me wrong - I don't sell Wedding Insurance and I don't work for any companies that do. In fact, I don't encourage or discourage purchasing coverage one way or another. I just think it's important that couples know that it's available as an option.

I didn't have the option to insure my home but I can't imagine having to cover the costs of these flood repairs on my own. With the amount of money that some people invest in weddings these days it makes sense to at least consider purchasing Wedding Insurance. The average wedding costs about $30,000. Your car probably isn't worth that much but I bet it's insured. For couples dishing out more than $75,000 on the big day I would definitely encourage the insurance. More money means more details and more details means more things that could go wrong.

Wedding Insurance can cover all kinds of unexpected wedding mishaps. From big problems (like the church or hall burns down the day before the wedding and everything has to be rescheduled), to slightly smaller matters (like your wedding dress was lost on the plane and you have to buy a new one). Every company is different and there are different levels of coverage so be sure to do your research before making any decisions.

You can start your research off with the Weddingguard Insurance Policy from PAL Canada. They were among the first to offer Wedding Insurance in Canada and have insurance options for every type of wedding and every type of budget.

I want to, again, point out that I don't encourage anyone to purchase a policy for their wedding; I do, however, recommend that you consider your options and do some research to find out if the investment would be worth it for you.

Cheers!

Sophie
Coverall Event Coordination

No comments: