Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Birdseed Favours


I made these lovely little birdseed favours last week. This is a much more elegant twist on the pine cone bird feeder.

To start, I didn't have any bird feed lying around (I finished it all before winter hit). So I decided to make a quick homemade bird feed with some stuff I had lying around the house but you can buy ready-made bird feed to make your life easier. If you purchase the feed make sure that you choose one that has some interesting colours, sizes, and textures.

The feed I used was made up of organic raisins, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds (I ran the raisins and pumpkin seeds through the food processor before I started).

What you'll need:
Toast (I used one per feeder but you can make smaller feeders if you make two per slice)
Cookie cutter (or scissors - yup, low-tech over here).
Peanut butter
Bird feed (homemade or store bought)
Twine
Labels or tags



Step 1: Use your cookie cutter to cut out the number of favours that you'll need. As you can see, I simply cut out a shape on paper then used that the cut out my heart shapes with scissors (I only made two feeders so it wasn't too bad but this could get time-consuming for a larger batch of feeders).


Step 2: Cover one side of the toast in peanut butter and push it down into the bird feed. Then cover the other side and the edge and press the other side into the feed. Make sure there is no peanut butter showing.




Step 3: Once your favours are covered push the tip of a paint brush or a pencil through one corner.
Step 4: Let the favours dry overnight or for a few days to give them a chance to harden.


Step 5: Once the feeders are nice and stiff, thread the twine through the hole and place a tag on the twine (I used a label made from recycled paper).


I put my feeder outside and even though it's January I've had a few birds munchin' away at it.


Do you have an idea for an eco project? Send it to me here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a really fun project! -Catherine