Friday, May 8, 2009

LAGO: A Gem on the Rideau Canal

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm really HUGE on customizing each wedding to suit the couple I'm working with. But Ottawa, for the most-part, is extremely conservative. There seems to be a tendency to shy away from change, from reinvention, from pushing the envelope. Which is especially frustrating for me as I spent most of my adult years living in Toronto where "Anything Goes". I'm always inspired when I meet a vendor or a bride who seeks to be different, to be daring, and who seeks to create something truly special!

Some venues I've run into portray the typical conservative mentality. If you ask your venue manager how a "typical" wedding would run from start to finish at their location they should NOT be able to give you an answer. The answer should be, "We don't have a typical structure. Every wedding is unique and we help build a day based on the client's vision". Or something to that effect.

When I asked Catherine Landry, Promotional Sales Rep at LAGO, this question she looked at me like I had four eyes... then she gave me the answer I wanted (along with a very long list of how a wedding could be fabulously unique given all of the special qualities of the venue).
Imagine a couple paddling up to the restaurant in a kayak, or biking up the trail on a tandem bike. The beautiful patio off the second floor Vista Room could allow guests a unique opportunity to watch the couple taking photos across the canal during cocktail hour while the couple would still feel the privacy of a secluded photo session amongst the beautiful trees and gardens that surround the canal.
How about a ceremony in the park, or for those more adventurous couples, what about taking your vows on a paddle boat out in front of the Pavilion while guests watch on from land? With Juliana Park, The Experimental Farm, and the Rideau Canal literally steps away the possibilities are endless. If you're not a typical "Ottawa" personality you'll really appreciate the potential.

This stylish seating area located in the restaurant on the first level could be closed off for a private bachelorette party.

The venue itself is fabulously unique from the shape of the Vista Room to the modern industrial feel of the decor. That, paired with super-chic lounge-style seating and tables, creates a high-end atmosphere that trendy couples will certainly appreciate.

I'd like to extend a huge thanks to Catherine and Gyneya for my "Day Away". It was truly refreshing to meet a couple more like-minded individuals in this city.

Are you a unique bride? Maybe LAGO is the place for you... check them out soon, though, because although they only opened their doors last July word is spreading fast and availability is limited.

Happy Planning!

Sophie

No comments: